President, Chief Executive Officer and Board Director
Tooman is a seasoned leader with decades of executive level experience and a strong résumé of operational expertise, including in pet therapeutics and the broader pharmaceutical industry. He has built strong business relationships and has a successful track record in executive leadership roles for several pharmaceutical companies. Tooman was the first independent board member of Aratana and has previously served as the chair of the board audit committees of Insite Vision Inc. and Xanodyne Pharmaceuticals Inc. He earned an M.B.A. in Finance from the University of Chicago and a B.A. in Economics from Kalamazoo College.
- Aratana Therapeutics: President, Chief Executive Officer and Board Director since January 2019; Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer 2013-2019; Director on Board of Directors and chair of the audit committee 2012-2013
- Avanzar Medical, Inc.: Chief Executive Officer 2012-2013
- Stockbourne LLC: Founder and principal 2011-present
- Ikaria Inc.: Senior Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer 2010-2011
- Enzon Pharmaceuticals: Executive Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer 2005-2010
- ILEX Oncology: Senior Vice President of Strategic Planning and Corporate Communications 2002-2005
- Pharmacia Corporation (previously Upjohn Company): Vice President of Investor Relations (various other international positions, including finance, marketing and strategic planning roles) 1988-2001
Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer
Hellums has more than 20 years of experience in finance and operations, specifically bringing a deep skillset in strategic planning, systems implementation, business development and investor relations. She has a strong track record of building businesses and being a cross-functional collaborator. She earned her M.B.A. from the University of Texas at San Antonio and a B.A. in Accounting and Information Systems from the University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Aratana Therapeutics: Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer since February 2019; Vice President of Finance 2014-2019
- Kinetic Concepts, Inc. (KCI): Director of Global Finance 2010-2014
- Enzon Pharmaceuticals: Vice President of Finance 2006-2010
- Genzyme Corporation (previously ILEX Oncology): Director of Finance, Alliance and Strategic Planning (various other finance and strategic planning roles) 2001-2005
- EG&G Management Services: Controller 1999-2001
- KPMG, LLC: Management consultant 1996-1999
Ernst Heinen, DVM, Ph.D.
Chief Development Officer
Dr. Heinen has a strong track-record as a drug developer, navigating regulatory agencies, as well as providing professional customer services. He is a leader in veterinary medicine, authoring dozens of scientific articles over the past 30 years, and is an accomplished operational lead in research and development, manufacturing, and quality assurance and experienced in connecting internal capabilities with third-party vendors. He currently serves on the Kansas State University Olathe Advisory Board and has previously served on the Kansas City Area Development Council and the Center for Animal Health Innovation boards. Dr. Heinen received a veterinary degree and a D.V.M. in veterinary microbiology from the Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen Veterinary School in Giessen, Germany and is a certified specialist in veterinary microbiology.
- Aratana Therapeutics: Chief Development Officer since March 2014; Head of Drug Evaluation and Development 2012-2014
- Bayer Animal Health: Vice President of Research & Development and Veterinary Technical Services of Pets for Bayer Animal Health (various other R&D positions) 1990-2012
Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Ready brings more than 20 years of animal health industry sales and marketing experience to Aratana. He has strong global experience launching products, strategic marketing and brand management for an entire companion animal portfolio. He holds a bachelor’s degree in biology from the University of Kansas.
- Aratana Therapeutics: Vice President of Sales and Marketing since November 2018; Senior Director of Marketing 2016-2018
- Elanco Animal Health: Senior Director of Companion Animal Global Marketing 2015-2016 (various marketing roles in the companion animal, beef, dairy, swine and poultry business units) 2005-2014
- Bayer Animal Health: Key Accounts Manager (various other marketing and sales positions) 1996-2005
John Ayres, J.D.
Vice President of Corporate Development and Administration, General Counsel & Secretary
Ayres is responsible for the Company’s corporate development, administration (including human resources and IT functions) and legal activities. He brings nearly 15 years of experience in corporate and securities counsel for public companies. He is a member of the Bar of the state of Missouri and the state of Illinois. Ayres earned his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Missouri and his B.A. degree in finance from Truman State University.
- Aratana Therapeutics: Vice President of Corporate Development and Administration, General Counsel & Secretary since January 2019; General Counsel and Secretary 2013-2019
- Amgen Inc.: Corporate and Securities Counsel 2010-2013
- Latham & Watkins LLP: Associate Attorney 2006-2010